The Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute’s mission is to develop and share economic, demographic, and public policy research that sheds light and helps people make INFORMED DECISIONS™. In times of uncertainty, we seek to share our expertise by providing economic leadership as well as practical and common-sense commentary related to the public’s well-being. We hope the information provided by our seasoned research team will both inform and comfort Utahns as we navigate the impacts of COVID-19 in Utah.
Utah Leads Together is Governor Herbert’s comprehensive task force plan to mitigate the economic consequences of COVID-19. The plan outlines the path to recovery and identifies tools to gauge success in reopening Utah’s economy. The report and economic playbook include recommendations from dozens of Utah state and industry leaders.
Volumes I, II, and III of the Utah Leads Together plan presented economic phases, color-coded health guidance, instructions for high-risk individuals, recommendations from Utah’s multi-cultural communities, and initial plans for Utah’s next economy.
The latest edition, Volume IV, of the Utah Leads Together plan, presents Utah’s economic recovery and revitalization plan.
Economists at the Gardner Institute are preparing a weekly update on key U.S. and Utah economic indicators. The document includes the latest data for indicators such as unemployment claims, stock and bond information, and state and national employment rates. The data will be updated every Monday and available for download. Download Economic Indicators PDF
The Gardner Institute’s staff are Utah’s demographic experts, leaders on the Utah economy, and specialists on public policy and survey research. We continue to prepare original economic research related to COVID-19 that will be updated as the situation evolves.
- Research Brief: Utah’s Tourism Rebounds Post-Pandemic – June 2021
- Fact Sheet: COVID-19 Impacts by Gender – March 2021
- Research Brief: The COVID-19 Economic Risk Index – January 2021
- Research Brief: COVID-19’s Impact on Utah’s Oil & Gas Industry – January 2021
- Research Brief: COVID-19’s Impact on Utah’s Travel and Tourism Industry – October 2020
- Research Brief: What’s Keeping Utah’s Real Estate Market Hot in the Time of COVID? – September 2020
- Research Brief: COVID-19 and Utah’s Small Businesses – May 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Economic Commentary Brief – March 2020
As the lead partner entity in the state of Utah for the U.S. Census Bureau, the Gardner Institute is closely monitoring the impacts of COVID-19 on Utah’s demographics and Census 2020. A new interactive data hub from the Census Bureau includes information on population demographics, economic indicators and businesses. This centralized data hub is a useful tool to provide background context for the pandemic-related decision-making of Utah communities.
The Gardner Institute’s staff are Utah’s demographic experts, leaders on the Utah economy, and specialists on public policy and survey research. Our seasoned staff of economists and researchers are providing COVID-19-related economic updates to business and community leaders. These updates and presentations will be made available to the public as they are completed:
- May 14, 2020: COVID-19 Utah Jobs Impacts: Initial Unemployment Insurance Claims; Juliette Tennert, Chief Economist
- Economy Check-In for Utah League of Cities and Towns; Juliette Tennert, Chief Economist
The Navigating COVID-19 Series is an urgent and compelling forum that provides clear and actionable direction to help local businesses navigate the COVID-19 health and economic crisis. Provided free of charge to business leaders through the generosity of the George S. and Dolores Dorè Eccles Foundation, recorded sessions are archived and available for viewing.
Local, state, and federal agencies are providing regular updates for the general public to stay informed and stay safe: