News Release

Utah Population Committee releases new population estimates for July 1, 2019

December 9, 2019 (Salt Lake City) – The Utah Population Committee (UPC), chaired by the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute, has produced Utah’s state and county population estimates for July 1, 2019. These estimates indicate that the state added approximately 456,000 people since April 1, 2010, reaching an estimated 3,220,262 Utahns. From 2018 to 2019, the population grew by 53,596 people.

Other highlights from the new estimates are as follows:

  • Utah’s solid population growth has been stabilizing over the last few years, with annual growth ranging between 55,500 to 59,000 since 2015 (2019 growth is 53,596 or 1.69%).
  • As annual births continue to decrease and deaths increase, natural increase has become a smaller share of the population growth, particularly since 2015. Natural increase started as 77% of population growth in 2011 and is currently 53% of population growth (net migration accounts for the remaining 47%).
  • Washington County was the fastest growing county this year with 5.6% growth since 2018, or 8,768 people. This is just 169 people shy of Utah County’s net migration.
  • Six counties have estimated population loss: Duchesne, Emery, Garfield, Grand, Kane, and Rich counties.
  • For the first time, Utah County’s net migration was a major contributor of population growth, 50.1%, compared to 49.9% being natural increase.

The full research brief is now available online.