The Gardner Policy Institute employs a team of economists who specialize in public finance. We also benefit from a Public Finance Council that guides our research agenda and supports the development of a public finance practice area. Our research focus areas include, but are not limited to: tax policy, revenue forecasting, fiscal impacts, budget stress-testing, budget transparency, and public finance best practices.
- Blog: Are Utah’s Wages Pacing with High Inflation?
- Utah State Government Growth: Following the Feds or on its Own Path?
- A Visual Guide to Tax Modernization Part Three: Understanding Property Taxes
- Blog: What Goes Up Must Come Down? The Muddled Post-Pandemic Inflation Picture
- A Visual Guide to Tax Modernization in Utah: Part Two: User Fees
- Policy Brief: Public Asset Development in Utah
- Retail Sales and the Pandemic: A Most Remarkable Year
- Blog: Utah’s Challenge
- Blog: Federal Economic Stimulus Efforts
- March 2021 Newsmaker Breakfast Presentation on Federal Stimulus
- Blog: Utah’s Resilient Economic Recovery
- Utah Homeless Services: Governance Structure and Funding Model
- Informed Decisions 2020 Election Brief
- Federal Reserve of Chicago Revenue Volatility Panel
- Federal Reserve of Atlanta Budget Forecasting Panel
- National Conference of State Legislatures Budget Stress Testing Presentation
- State Budget Stress Testing: How Utah Budget-makers are Shifting the Focus from a Balanced Budget to Fiscal Sustainability
- State Budget Stress Testing User Guide
- Western States Budget Report FY 18-19 Utah Report
- A Visual Guide to Tax Modernization in Utah: Sales and Use Taxes
- The Volcker Alliance: Truth and Integrity in State Budgeting 2018